Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stool softeners, Jugular veins, Chest tubes and Cookies!

My job.  On a daily basis I question perfect strangers about their bowel routine, literally I want to know...."if everything came out alright".  A question most people don't REALLY want to know the answer to.  Last week, I had a patient tell me she was "shaking on the inside"  and I looked up to see her jugular vein literally shaking in her neck.  In that moment it took everything within me to remain calm, cool and collected....which only became more difficult when I was assessing the situation and I realized that I couldn't really hear her heart!  Problem?!  Yes!  I made a few quick decisions and notified a doctor and within a few minutes and several tests later....my patient was enjoying the rest of her dinner.  Today I cared for a patient that has a chest tube.  I don't know if you know what that it is, but it is exactly like it sounds.  It is a tube that is inserted into the lung to allow drainage to drain out of the lung so as to prevent someone from drowning in their own fluid, essentially.  FYI...chest tubes can be scary, as you can imagine....if something goes wrong the lung could collapse almost immediately....not cool!  

Not only is my job odd...it is stressful.  When I really think about the things that I do on a daily basis and who and what I am responsible for....it makes me sick to my stomach, still....3 years later.  I often dread going to work because I know the next 12+ hours are going to be full of stress.

But....there are days like today that make it all worth it.  Today I cared for a lady who was riding a motorcycle and was t-boned by a car (my chest tube patient).  She is one sick lady.  All day long I was anxious as I thought about all of the possibilities that could go wrong for her.  Thankfully, I was able to witness incredible improvement in her today!  Today, she stood for the first time!  Today she held a real conversation!  And today, she told me what a difference I made AND today,  her family gave me homemade chocolate chip cookies!  Today....I love my job.

1 comment:

Mandy Mucci said...

I'm so proud of you! You are a living walking example of God's love in place much needed.