Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Yes, my 95 year old patient did ask if I wanted to see her tattoo?!

She was kidding....of course.  But let me tell you, this grandma cracked me up!  It is not everyday that I care for someone who is 95 years old, let alone 95 and with it enough to know they have lived for 95 years!  When I walked into this patient's room, I knew right away that this woman was not your average 95 year old!  I saw a very thin woman sitting upright in bed with a pair of trendy plastic framed glasses, wearing a wig (slightly askew) cut into quite the cute hair cut!  I introduced myself and began asking typical admission questions.  Everyone that is admitted to our hospital is asked if they have a living will.  (You know...the document stating how you would like to be cared for in the event you are unable to make your own decisions.)  FYI: most elderly people have one.  So..I ask "Do you have a living will?", to which she quickly replied with plenty of attitude "No, do you?!"  Like it was weird that she might have one, and I didn't....I mean, she is ONLY 70 years older than I am!  So, next I ask about heroic measures.  (DNR/DNI: Do Not Resuscitate/ Do Not Intubate vs. doing everything possible to keep someone alive)  So when asked what her wishes are she says "Yeah right!  Like I want to pay thousands of dollars to die, if I am going to die, I am going to die FOR free!!"  Good point grandma!

3 comments:

B.Sunshine said...

ha. i love the elderly. you have so much to learn from them. They really do bring something to your shift.

Mandy Mucci said...

Ha! What a cute little old lady!

J said...

MORE BLOGS!